Friday, February 8, 2013
I've been meaning to get a mirror for by my front door, a 'last looks' mirror if you will. But I find mirrors to be one of those things that are more expensive than they need to be. I found an unfinished mirror at Michaels for under $10. Sold! I got it home, took the mirror out, and sanded it smooth. Then the dilemma...what color do I paint it? I couldn't decide. I asked my son. He said black and red. O_o That goes with nothing in my living room. I ask my boyfriend what his favorite color is. Figured I could kill two birds with one stone, find out his favorite color and get a color for my frame. Of course on this occasion he doesn't text me back until the next day. And since it turns out that he doesn't really have a favorite color, wouldn't have been much help to my creative process anyway. So I decided to go with metallics. I consider them to be neutrals and go with everything.
After painting a base coat of warm white craft paint I added a coat of Elmer's glue all intending to do a faux crackle. I have yet to get a crackle to work with a metallic paint as the second color. After putting on a mix of gold and copper paint, and seeing that the crackle failed, I rubbed away some of the metallic letting the white show through. This is where the glue comes in handy. The places it hasn't dried comes off really easy creating a peeled paint effect. I added some dark blue craft paint for a splash of color. I also added some gold and crystal glitter glue.
I stamped the clockwork woman and 'le romantique' sentiment on tissue paper with Archival Ink. The gold swirls were stamped on tissue paper with versamark and embossed with fine gold embossing powder. I cut out the stamped shapes and used gel medium to adhere onto the frame. I tore random pieces of tissue paper to help disguise the edges of the stamped images. Around the edges of the mirror I added some homemade washi paper. Once dry I added touches of copper paint to help blend everything together. Last but not least, I added more gold and crystal glitter glue.
I love how this came out. I find it to be soft and romantic but not in an overly frilly kinda way. I will enjoy looking into this mirror every time I walk out the door.
Saturday, February 2, 2013
I cut down an 8.5x11 piece of pink cardstock to 8x8. I stock up on cardstock when Michaels has their packs on sale. I used a Martha Stewart Valentine clear stamp set and versamark ink to stamp the keys then embossed with white embossing powder. I inked the edges with Distress ink in vintage photo and tea dye. The black and white pattern paper was in my scrap bin. The ribbon is one I picked up on my shopping trip. The J'adore paper is from the Blush 6x6 stack by MME. Love those papers. I picked up the Happy stack as well. Heart doily and pink photo corners are from my stash. The flower taken from a rose stem also purchased during this trip. I took the rose apart removing all the plastic spacers and used a rhinestone brad through the center to put it back together. I love music and find song lyrics a wonderful way to communicate my emotions. I printed the lyrics to A Thousand Years Part 2 by Christina Perri onto a transparency sheet, and while I was at it, I printed the 'love' sentiment and the vintage ladies. I had to fill up the sheet. Waste not, want not and all that. I'm glad I did. I love the way the finish off the memo board. I'm thinking of adding some hat pins and maybe a lace handkerchief if I can find one. I'm loving the vintage romantic feel.
Saturday, January 26, 2013
I've been loving adding this beautiful shade of blue to a traditional valentines pallet. I painted a 5x7 canvas boards with a coat of white craft paint and let dry. I then brushed on a coat of Elmer's Glue All and waited for it to get tacky. Don't let the glue dry all the way or it won't crackle. I used a baby blue craft paint over the top and watched the magic. While waiting for the canvas to completely dry I started melting my beeswax in my Ranger Melt Pot. I also used Fotofusion to print out the quote, wings, and face onto white tissue paper (the kind you use in gift bags not to blow your nose). For my printer I have to tape the tissue paper to a sheet of printer paper to get it to run through. I also cut out acetate hearts in different sizes using my cricut and the home decor cart. I colored the big one with cranberry alcohol ink and the small one I colored with a Bic Mark It. Now to put it all together. Using the beeswax as a kind of decoupage medium I put the tissue pieces down. The melted wax will saturate the tissue making it practically disappear leaving the printed image standing out. I used my heat tool to remelt the wax and move it until it was how I liked it. The wax adheres the acetate hearts too. Just be careful using the heat tool around the acetate because it can start to melt. I added loose gold and white embossing powder and melted it in. It was a challenge to melt the embossing powder and not melt the beeswax too much. Everything get a little fluid if that happens. What I found worked the best was heating the wax enough so the powder would stick and heating the powder slowly. It was worth the effort as I think the powder adds a nice finishing touch that makes it look more cohesive.